Birds of Assam
There are about a thousand different birds species live in Assam.
And as I understand you are coming here to discover these all species.
That’s great……….because I would like to inform you that the exact same thing here I am going to share with you today in this post.
So are you ready to discover beautiful birds of Assam?
Then let’s do this……….
9 [Awesome] Different Bird Species of Assam
1. Black Winged Stilt: – This is a small bird with long-legged and black winged color. According to ornithologists, Black Winged Stilt belongs to Stilt family.
(Stilt is a type of bird species, where birds have long legs and lives generally in the warm climate in wetlands)
Height: – Highest range 33-36 cm.
Legs Color: – Pink.
Head Color: – White.
From Chest to Abdomen: – White.
Wing Color: – Black.
2. Brahminy Duck: – Brahminy Duck is a beautiful migratory bird, generally found in the bird reserves of Assam or different parts of India.
In winter season this migratory duck flew arrive in the Indian Sub-continent from Southeastern Europe and Central Asia.
Though this is known as Brahminy Duck in India other parts of the world this beautiful flew known as Ruddy Shelduck.
Species: – Anatidae Family (Ducks, Geese, and Swans) and Distinctive Waterfowls.
Length: – 58-70 cm.
Body Color: – Orange Brown.
Tail and Flight Wing: – Black Color.
3. Greater Adjutant Stork: – This is a large bird from Stork family, mostly founded in Assam and Cambodia. This is considered as the largest bird of the stork family.
(Stork family birds are generally large in size and stout in Bills. They have long legs and a long neck)
There are also two related genus includes in Asia and Africa, where one is Lesser Adjutant and another is Marabou Stork of Africa.
Height: – 145-150 cm.
Head: – Bare Head.
Wing Color: – Black.
Neck Color: – Red
4. Asian pied starling: – Asian Pied Starling or Pied Myna is a small bird belongs to Starling species.
In Assam, it’s common to see at everyone’s home, because this bird is quite familiar with human and other animals.
Excluding Assam Asian Pied Starling is highly founded in other different parts of Indian Sub-Continent and some other parts of Southeast Asia.
Whole Body Color: – Black and white.
Height: – 10-13 cm
5. Bar Headed Goose: – Bar Headed Goose is a bird from Anatidae family, founded in wildlife sanctuaries of Assam.
This Anatidae family bird has migratory characteristics.
In spring season it lives in the mountain lakes of Central Asia but in the winter season, it moves to the areas of South Asia.
Size: – Large
Height: – 71-76 cm
Body Color: – Pale Grey
Head Color: – White Color Head with Black Bars.
6. Brown Owl: – This is a Sub-Species of Tawny Owl family. Brown owl is a grey colored bird with a medium size and round wings plus short tails.
Commonly found in the woodlands of Assam and different parts of north-east India such as Nagaland.
7. Kingfisher: – Alcedinidae or Kingfisher is a small bird lives on fishing and eating small insects.
This is a colorful bird from Coraciiform group.
Length: – 10 cm
Weight: – 9 to 12 Grams
Body Color: – Multi-Colored.
8. Yellow Billed Hornbill: – Yellow Billed Hornbill mostly lives in woodland areas and a part of Hornbill family.
This bird mainly searches for food on the grounds because it lives on small insects, ants, scorpions, and spiders. Yellow Billed Hornbill also eats tree seeds as their food.
Size: – Medium
Weight: – 132 to 242 grams.
Beak Size: – Large
9. Large Cormorant: – This is a medium size bird of Cormorant family. It has also many other Sub-species, like black Cormorant and black Shag Cormorant etc.
The large cormorant species is mostly founded in India.
Whole Body Color: – Black.
Weight: – 1.5 Kg to 3.5 Kg.
Size: – Medium.
Now It’s Your Turn
Now you tell me, which are the birds that you are thinking about. And if you liked our post ‘Birds of Assam’ then make sure to comment below and let me know.
Read Our Another Awesome Post: – असम आंदोलन [क्या 2.0 सुरु होने वाला है?]